Proper nutrition is the best medicine for your body, and your gums are no different. Supplying your periodontal tissue with the foods that will help it thrive can help you stave off gingivitis and keep your smile beautiful and healthy throughout your lifetime. If you suffer from bleeding gums in Miami, FL, try adding a few vitamin- and nutrient-rich foods to your diet.
Foods that Boost Gum Health
- Leafy green vegetables and citrus fruits are a good source of vitamin C, which reduces inflammation.
- Dairy products are packed with calcium and protein, which are great for your bones and gum tissue.
- Celery and apples tend to get in between the teeth, which in this case, is a good thing. Crunchy foods that can help brush away the bacteria and plaque that tend to linger near the gum line.
- Onions have bacteria-fighting properties that can prevent periodontal (gum) infection.
- Green tea is rich in antioxidants, another inflammation-fighting food. Green tea also contains catechins, which fight off certain types of bacteria found in the mouth. A cup of green tea a day may help prevent bleeding gums in Miami, FL.
Remember the Basics
Adding these foods to your diet is a great start, but be sure to brush twice and floss a minimum of once daily. Schedule regular cleanings and exams with your dentist and if you notice bleeding gums in Miami, FL, call an experienced periodontist like Dr. Ross to find out whether you may have gingivitis. Treatments for periodontal disease include antibiotic therapies and a laser gum surgery known as the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®).
As a specialist in periodontal care, Dr. Bradley Ross offers a variety of periodontal treatments. If you would like to learn more about periodontal health or the LANAP® no cut/no sew alternative to gum surgery, call our office to schedule your consultation now.
Currently rated by 0 people